
I went to the funeral for Michael Alleman today. He left behind a wife and two young boys.
There was an amazing display of support and patriotism from the community. Standing amongst the flags that lined the procession route were kids from his school with their hands over their hearts. There were also a line of National Guard soldiers in their fatigues, saluting, and firemen and scouts holding flags. An organization called the Patriot Guard was there with their Harleys dressed in their Harley attire, holding flags that lined the sidewalk and to the entrance of the church. They accompanied his body from the airport to the funeral home, and from there to the church. At the graveside service, he received full military honors.
I am amazed at the strength by his family. They have a lot of faith and hope. He was serving in Iraq, and died while on a special mission against some Al Quida creeps. He was 31 years old.I am thankful for these soldiers who are willing to sacrifice their time and their lives for freedom's sake. Since Shaun joined the military, I think this death affected me more than I expected. Though worried, I am very proud of him and Lisa for their courage and commitment.


3 comments:
Seeing the love and support for military members always makes me teary-eyed. The 4 Infantry Division Unit here at Fort Hood has been coming home in groups for the last several weeks. The parade route goes right by my house, and every time a group comes home, their are always banners, ribbons, and flags lining the streets. And they are always escorted in by police and the harley-riding 'Freedom Riders'.
We had a friend die in Iraq in January, and the support from the community was overwhelming. Can't say I'm quite ready for my own husband to go to Iraq in April.....
I, too, am thankful for these soldiers and their families that put so much on the line for us. I'm glad you were able to attend the funeral. Thanks for sharing!
I just realized I never commented but I did look at this as soon as I got your message on Facebook. That is so touching that the kids stood among the flags on the route to the cemetary. It always makes me teary eyed to see soldiers and the sacrifices they, and their families, make for our freedoms. Thanks for posting these Kath!
Post a Comment