There are many examples in our lives that can affect us forever. I want to mention some that I think deserves some attention.
My sister, Ellen, took on a project a few years ago that was more than she probably planned. A few years ago, she moved her EX-mother-in-law here to Utah from California. She had always kept in touch with her and knew that she needed help. Much of this was done at Ellen and Larry's expense. (What husband is supportive of this kind of treatment of an Ex-anything?)
As the months passed, Loretta had many accidents and required a lot of medical treatment. Ellen and Kira faithfully did her grocery shopping and ran her around for her errands. This lady was demanding and sometimes not very grateful. Ellen really did all this with a willing attitude clear up until and through the funeral.
"It puts me in mind" of another situation where I watched unfold before my eyes when my mother took such good care of my dad. This kind of service is not understood by most - unless they've had to do it themselves. I watch my mom laugh at my dad's jokes (even when she was the brunt) and she kept him physically clean and looking professional. I marveled at this kind of treatment, because we all knew it wasn't necessarily earned. I saw the epitome of Tender Loving Kindness.
As I observed these kind acts, and was privileged to be at Dad's bedside as he lay dying - watching my mother lie down next to him and snuggle, commenting that she could stay just like that forever - I knew that my parents loved each other. This has been a great comfort to me thru the years.
It is this type of behavior that make us all want to try a little harder and do a little better. I'm grateful to have been a witness to these great examples.
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Gary and Kathy
1 comment:
That was really nice Kathy. Thanks for sharing and inspiring! I, too, think Ellen and her family are great examples of service.
Post a Comment